— The Alpaca Street Team

All messages by user: katy holland

4/20/2011
Topic:
Is it time to change the focus from Shows??

katy holland
I replied to your post under a different topic. We as an industry need to get it together. We attend one show a year, but wont be doing that much longer. We are a small farm. We raise Suris. We also spoke to a farm that has quit showing all together to focus on the fiber end of the industry they are working on becoming certified fiber sorters. In talking to them we have realized that shows are NOT the place for fiber prducing alpacas. I cant walk into a show ring with my animals, nice, fine, dense, suri fiber with straight locks and compete with those who have animals with skin tight penciled locks of fiber. Judges only recognize one type of lock structure in the show ring. We take our animals home and shear them, we have garment quality fiber, the farms with the skin tight penciled locks brought home the blue ribbon but have rug fiber. I feel we need to have a different show structure, one for fiber!!! Show your males ,females, of all ages and geldings too! Jugdge on fiber quality on the animal. Weneed to come together on this or we will find our industry in great trouble.
4/27/2011
Topic:
7 month old male not eating grain

katy holland
We had the same problem with our 7 month old cria. The dam was losing weight trying to support herself and the cria. We weaned her and hoped she would start eating grain, but it didnt happen. Everone says if you have quality hay not to worry. We did have good hay but it wasent enough for her. After 4 days of her not eating we mixed alfalfa pellets, Calf Manna and Sheep milk replacer together. We ran it through the food processor until it was able to be sucked up in a large syringe. We fed this to her morning and night (only 2 syringes at a time). On the second day I fed the other cria she was with and my stubborn girl was fighting for the grain. She has been eating ever since. Weanig did set her back a bit but she is making up for it now. Good luck!
5/10/2011
Topic:
10 month old cria ~ Possible seizure?

katy holland
Hello..

We have just come back from doing our evening chores where we had quite a scare.

We were finishing up the chores when we noticed our 10 month old female was down in the "baby" pen. She was throwing her head around as if she had no control over it. She was foaming from the mouth and we couldn't get her attention. She was zoned out. Afterwards she stood up and appeared to be fine, just a little wobbley.

We don't know how long she was doing this before we noticed, but we don't think it was for very long. After noticed her it lasted maybe 2 minutes at the most.

After the incident we were discussing possible causes... Today was our first really warm day with temps pushing up in the nineties. The "baby" bucket was the last bucket to be filled with water so the water would be coldest. Is it possible that the combination of the air temp and her gulping down ice cold water would make her go into shock?

We are hoping that this is just a one time deal...

Any suggestions would be great!
1/24/2012
Topic:
Best barn flooring

katy holland
Hello,
We have just cement. Well actually, half of the barn is cement and the other is gravel/sand. Our larger pens, which house most of our alpacas, are on the cement. We have one smaller pen where our 'macho man' is and this pen is on the gravel/sand. In the cement, we have grate marks in it that gradually slope towards the doors (this allows the urine and spilled water to head outside). The cement makes any type of clean up a breeze. In the cold months, we do a pack/deep bedding of hay and straw.

Katy and Delaney Holland
Alpacas of Holland Acres
Olivia, MN
1/27/2012
Topic:
Gelding

katy holland
Hello,
I would think the decision would come once the male in question is fully mature. By this time, you will probably know if the male is one you would like to use for breeding. If not, gelding can be done as soon as his 'parts' are fully developed. Gelding should be done during cooler months so he won't be bugged by flies, which can cause infections, while recovering. Your vet is the only one that can really tell you if the male is ready or not. Gelding is really up to you. If the male is a little too dominate for you, gelding would probably help. But the main decision, is based upon breeding or not.

Katy and Delaney Holland
Alpacas of Holland Acres
Olivia, MN
2/21/2012
Topic:
Nutritional Supplements

katy holland
We have had our local grain feeder produce both a pellet feed and a free-choice mineral. The pellets were produced using simillar ingredients to Mazuri and NuZu feeds. They also contain many of the same mineral levels, but are more tailored to what our alpacas need. We had trouble feeding the Mazuri because of the pellet size. Many of our girls choked on it. The mineral was based off of the Stillwater Mineral recipe, but again, is fitted to what we need

Katy & Delaney Holland
Alpacas of Holland Acres
Olivia, MN
2/23/2012
Topic:
Possible Dislocation of Back leg.

katy holland
I think your best bet would be to talk with your vet. I would think that any vet with expirence with large animals would be able to help. You can give hime some thiamine and/or banamine is he gets worse. Again, talk with your vet!

Katy & Delaney Holland
Alpacas of Holland Acres
Olivia, MN
6/7/2017
Topic:
Down Male

katy holland
Did you have a necropsy done on him? I'm thinking it could have been a meningeal worm? Just a thought?
10/5/2017
Topic:
Gelded Males

katy holland
That is also what I have read. Plus they will fight less and you can pen them with females if needed.