— The Alpaca Street Team

All messages by user: sue c

5/22/2016
Topic:
Mites

sue c
carrageen wrote:
We have been treating with ivomec to improve loss of hair from nose and cheeks. Our vet has diagnosed mites. Some improvement has been noted but not a lot. Is there anything else we can try?

Its possible that the mites were misdiagnosed- they look very similar under the microscope but there are 3 types of mites known to affect alpacas., and the most common type- Chorioptic- does nor burrow into skin as the other types do; It remains on surface and still often causes skin irritation, itching, and localized loss of fleece, but it is not really affected by injectable ivermectin. A very effective treatment for Chorioptic mites is fipronyl 0.25% spray.. Best known brand name is Frontline, made by Merial; however theyve discontinued the spray form, so you must look for it online, A generic brand is available toon and is less pricey- just be sure you get the correct strength which is 0.25 % Spray affected areas well- usually this is feet- in between toes, and fetlocks of all 4 feet -and also armpits, under tail, and around ears. Repeat treatment every 20 to 21 days for total of 5 treatments. Also remove all bedding and probably should treat all other pacas in contact with the known affected animal.
edited by sue c on 6/15/2016
3/26/2017
Topic:
Down Male

sue c
Was a fecal run?
7/30/2018
Topic:
Gelded Males

sue c
Geldings should not be kept with females as they will still attempt to breed and can cause real damage to females that way. Gelding does calm males and will help to prevent fights- it also slows the development of fighting teeth if done before those appear. I have 2 boys who Ive had gelded- one at 10 months which I now know is too young - 2nd was done at the advised age of 18 months which I personally think is a bit older than ideal but I am very pleased with the way these boys get along now. If done the best way- under IV anesthesia using same midline technique as for a pet dog- it can be pricey - $300 or so- but having it done cheaply - ie no anesthesia, no pain meds, less involved technique- is more apt to result in problems like bleeding -and is imo cruel to the alpaca. I think DIY gelding is a horrible idea- it is a surgical procedure! Have a vet do it.
edited by sue c on 10/26/2018